Saturday, October 13, 2007

My Happy Chair

This blog is mostly about my writing journey, but today I'm doing other stuff. Other creative outlets call me, too. One thing I enjoy immensely is working with upholstery material. Weird, eh? I cover furniture, boxes, make place mats, etc. I guess this satisfies my textile fascination. Texture intrigues me. I wish books were covered in material, (not a practical idea, just something I would like). Anyway, today I'm making purses or bags. I like to think of myself as a bag lady. Strange? I suppose. Truth is, I do a few strange things. Once I made a happy chair. I inherited a goodly amount of costume jewelry, stuff that I would never wear and couldn't bear to part with it, for personal reasons. So I took a chair and painted it with lots of wild colors, then I spent hours gluing the jewelry all over it. My youngest grandson was 4ish at the time. Of course, it intrigued him so he asked me what I was making. Not wanting to explain how it was just something I was doing as grief work, I transformed it into, "I'm making a happy chair." His eyes lit up, he climbed up and sat down and smiled. It made him happy, I guess, just by believing. That's the type of magical wonder I try to put into my books. I want to capture children and adults to believe in the wonder.
Am going to go work on my bags, now.

No comments: